The Perth Balls have been documented as being at the centre of the social calendar in Perthshire since 1820 but family folklore place them back as early as 1750. The Ball used to be held on two nights in the Sheriffs' Court in Perth, where 'The Balls' paid for the sprung wooden floor to be laid, which is still in use today.
Other venues have included the Old City Hall, Blair Castle, Murthly Castle, the Horsecross Centre and Scone Palace. For many decades it was know as The Perth Hunt Ball and was held during the September Race Meeting at Perth Race Course. All young ladies and gentlemen of the County made their social debut at The Balls.
The Perth Ball has always been part of the Highland ball season, along with the Northern Meeting and the Stirling, Skye, Donside, Aboyne, Angus, Oban and Lochaber Balls.
In 1993 The Ball was handed over to a social committee, was restricted to Members only and became known as 'The Perth Ball. More recently in a successful bid to make the Ball more accessible to younger people the Committee decided to do away with the Membership and make tickets available to all comers.
President - The Countess of Kinnoull
Chair - Lady Georgina Bullough
Treasurer - The Hon Mrs Donryn Dewar
Suzanne Fraser (Chair)